A garage door is not anything a homeowner should overlook or skimp on. You want your car, tools, and anything you store there to be safe and dry. Durability in all kinds of weather is essential. It’s also good to have doors that last a long time and add to the decor of the exterior of your home. There are several materials that garage doors can be made from. Wood is a popular choice and the classic option. However, wood doesn’t stand up to the elements as well as metal. A metallic garage door may be your best bet. But which of the two common metals is best? Do you go with aluminum or steel?
Aluminum Vs. Steel
Aluminum and steel are two common metals that are used in the manufacture of many things, among them garage doors. In this situation, one is not better than the other. Each has its advantages and the decision on which type of garage door to choose is a personal one based on several factors including your budget, the design of your home, and its specific needs. The climate where you live can also influence your decision.
Benefits of Aluminum
Aluminum garage doors are a popular choice for those on a budget as they tend to be lower cost than other doors made from other materials. They are especially good if you live in an area with a mild climate. Some of the benefits of aluminum include:
- Resistant to rust – Aluminum does not rust which gives it durability and the ability to stand up to rain and other precipitation.
- Easy to maintain – Aluminum is a low-maintenance material. Cleaning your doors is as easy as spraying them with a hose.
- Low density – Aluminum’s low density makes the doors lightweight and easy to open and close. Less weight also means less stress on the springs and other parts of the opening mechanism.
- Recyclable – Aluminum garage doors are often made from recycled material and can also be recycled when they are replaced. Environmentally-friendly materials are preferable to many.
Aluminum is a good choice for a garage door.
Benefits of Steel
Steel garage doors are strong and durable and not excessively costly. You can also add magnetic signs or pictures to them to dress up your garage. Other benefits include:
- Low-maintenance – Painted steel doors can be easily cleaned by spraying them with a hose.
- Long-lasting – Steel doors can stand up to rain, snow, wind, heat, or anything else the environment throws at them.
- Versatile – Steel can be painted in any color and comes in many finishes to give you almost unlimited design options.
- Secure – The strength of steel helps prevent break-ins by intruders and animals.
- Recyclable – Steel doors can also be made from recyclable material and then recycled when replaced. This makes them green and attractive to those who care about the environment.
Aluminum and steel garage doors are both excellent options. Consider the benefits of each and how they apply to your home, climate, and budget. Contact Bayside Garage Doors at (813) 433-7395 for expert assistance in choosing the right material and doors, purchasing your new doors, and having them properly installed.